Wednesday 29 February 2012

Ode To The Woman In The Pink Top

I am disabled. I have FMS which, for the uninitiated, doesn't stand for fuckingmegaspastic but Fibromyalgia Syndrome. It's a non life threatening neurological condition for which there is no cure and very little in the way of significant treatment. I'm able to do a full time job with some adjustments and I don't get any benefits or help to manage my condition. I use a stick when I go out to help with walking and balance. Other than that, I pretty much get on with it. I refuse to be brought down by the change this condition has brought to my life. Today I had to travel to London to speak at a meeting. All was going well with my travels until it was time to get the train home.

I understand that after a long day at work, everyone is tired and wants to sit down. I also feel tired after a day at work. Then again one of the symptoms of FMS is chronic fatigue so I feel tired all the time. Not just a bit sleepy or worn out but utterly, totally, mentally and physically exhausted. So tired that I can bearly lift my arms or move my legs. So exhausted that I feel like my bones are made of lead. So worn out that stringing a coherent sentence together is a challenge. The other major symptom is the accute pain I have in all my muscles and joints. Burning, stabbing, shooting pains in my legs and arms. Stiffness and pain in my neck and spine. Crippling headaches and facial pains. That's without mentioning the poor balance I have, the numbness I get in my feet and hands. The problematic eyesight, inability to sleep for longer than three hours and so on.......

I understand that the price of a ticket is costly and people feel that entitles them to a seat. I also find the cost of travel expensive. I don't get any financial help in spite of the increased cost that living with a disability brings. The Government don't consider my condition warrants any assistance. So I pay out more than able bodied people just to live a semi normal life through no fault of my own.

So what's all this about? Am I having a 'feeling sorry for myself' moment? No.

I've said all this because I want to make able bodied people who use public transport wake up to the ignorance and disrespect they show when a disabled person gets on a bus or a train and they watch them struggle and STILL don't give up their seat.

So back to my train home....

To you, the young man in your silk blend purple shirt, glancing at me from time to time with a pitying smile on your face. I don't want your pity, I want your seat.

To you, the young man in the white designer jacket and the bottle blond hair who stared at me all the way home, whilst sucking your teeth. Yes I have a walking stick, not a second head. But if I did have two heads, so what? I don't want your respect, I want your seat.

To you, the middle aged EDL supporter, taking up two seats clearly marked as reserved for disabled people because you had a sports bag with you. I don't want your ignorance, I want your seat.

To all the other fit and able people on the train, who covertly stared at me whilst not looking me in the eye because they were ashamed that they knew they wouldn't be the one to stand up and offer me a seat. I don't want your shame, I want your seat.

To you, the lovely woman in the pink top, who in spite of having a heavy bag, in spite of being a woman on a train full of men and in spite of being obviously knackered was the only damn person on the train to get up, smile and offer me her seat, thank you. You are a perfect stranger who I will never meet again but you touched my life today. You gave me your seat.

1 comment: